May 5, 2010

May 5 - Proverbs 5

What a sobering chapter!  It paints such a vivid picture of the destruction that follows infidelity.  Even in our culture that seems to prize the independence to do whatever you want with whomever you want whenever you want ... we have all witnessed the destruction that follows affairs and adulteries.  What is it about us humans that thinks something may be bad for everyone else ... but it won't be bad for me!  And we foolishly plunge right in ... and the consequences, the results that Solomon predicts, always follow. 

The verse in chapter 5 that is the most meaningful to me right now is verse 15:  "Drink water from your own cistern, running water from your own well."  To me, this verse addresses our need for contentment.  It contradicts the human tendency to think that "the grass is always greener in some other field".  I think that will be my prayer today ... Lord, help me not only exhibit contentment but help me feel it deep in my spirit.  Contentment ... with my spouse, my family, my work, myself, my income, my house, my life.  I want to drink all I can from MY OWN life today.  No one elses ...

No comments:

Post a Comment