May 25, 2010

May 25 - Proverbs 25

I received one of those phone calls that no one wants to ever get.  Last night ... late.  I was given the "news" of one who had taken his life.  Tragedy.  Loss. 

After the shock began to subside, the cries of "Why" wracked both body and soul.  And I think about the ones in scripture who cried out to God with their own "whys".  There was Job ... there was David ... even our Jesus cried that very question as He hung on the cross. 

And then I read our Proverb for today ... chapter 25 ... and was touched by verse 2a:  "It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; ..."  There are things that we will not, indeed, cannot know.  I believe that is true because it is beyond our capacity to understand.  And so we trust. 

Deuteronomy 29:29 says that "the secret things belong to the Lord our God."  Some questions cannot be answered.  And so we trust. 

Anne Graham Lotz wrote:  "I lay my 'whys' before your Cross in worship kneeling, my mind too numb for thought, my heart beyond all feeling.  And worshiping, realize that I ... in knowing You ... don't need a 'why'."

Do you have some "whys" still reverberating in your own soul?  Take them to your Father ... lay them there.  And realize, with me, that for some reason we cannot understand this side of eternity ... "it is the glory of God to conceal things."  And trust ...

No comments:

Post a Comment