May 19, 2010

May 19 - Proverbs 19

Two kinds of wives are represented in this chapter.  There is the "quarrelsome wife" of verse 13.  The Hebrew word translated "quarreling" is a word that is most often used in military settings ... it means "fighting".  I think of constant arguing ... I think of a belligerent attitude ... I think of continually fighting over things.  Ever been there?  Girls ... when we go there ... we are like water torture!  I don't think this proverb is saying that we should never disagree or defend a position.  I think it is saying that when that style characterizes us ... watch out.  Lord, help me recognize in myself when I am leaning toward being quarrelsome.  Give me wisdom to know the difference in discussing a disagreement and having a quarrelsome spirit.  I want to be shaped by you.  I want to carry the "gentle and quiet spirit" that the apostle Peter tells us is "precious" to You.  (1 Peter 3:4  KJV)

The other kind of wife in this chapter is in verse 14.  She is the "prudent wife".  This Hebrew word, sakal,  means:
to be prudent, act wisely, give attention to, ponder, prosper.” 

The basic meaning of sakal seems to be “to look at, to give attention to,” sakal never concerns abstract prudence, but acting prudently
(Vine, W. E. ; Unger, Merrill F. ; White, William: Vine's Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words. Nashville : T. Nelson, 1996, S. 1:273)
 
I hear the wisdom writer saying that wives (women) who pay attention to things and act wisely in relation to  ... perhaps their families, their words, their activities, their choices ... these women are a gift from the Lord.  I want to be there.  I want to be one of "those"!  Lord, help me this day to think before I speak ... to reflect before I react.  I do want to be a gift from You to the people in my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment