May 7, 2010

May 8 - Proverbs 8

I was moved by the beautiful descriptions and the extravagant phrases used to describe wisdom in this chapter.  I particularly loved verse 4 when wisdom calls out to "all mankind".  No selective few ... no elite minority ... not intellectuals only ... not wealthy people only ... not beautiful people only ... "all".  That means that wisdom calls to me.  And to  you ...

My birth stone is a ruby and I have always loved the gem as one of the most exquisite of the precious stones.  So when I read in verse 11 "wisdom is more precious than rubies" ... that caught my attention ... because rubies are precious!  (The New American Standard Version uses "jewels" ... but I am sticking with the NIV and the word "rubies"!) 

Notice the things in this chapter that wisdom says belong to her ...
  • knowledge
  • discretion
  • sound judgment
  • understanding
  • power
  • justice
  • righteousness
A precious treasure indeed ...  more precious than rubies.

No comments:

Post a Comment