May 9, 2010

May 9 - Proverbs 9

We again see the universality of wisdom's call in this chapter.  "She calls from the highest point of the city" to humankind.  Come to her ... sit and eat and drink with her ... get wisdom. 

Also as I read this chapter, I am impressed with verses 8 - 9.  Did you see the "teachable" spirit of a wise person?  It is a foolish person who cannot (or will not) hear any rebuke, any instruction, any criticism or any insight from another person.  I have known a few people, both men and women, who have grown old ... and remained teachable.  There was no arrogance or close-mindedness in them.  This Proverbs chapter tells me that they were indeed wise. 

So ... it is Sunday morning and I will be a part of an assembly of believers this mornings.  My prayer for this day ...

Lord, give me a teachable spirit.  Give me eyes to see when I am being close-minded on anything.  Continue to teach me ... to rebuke me.  And Lord, when You use others to do that very thing ... give me the "wisdom" to hear. 

1 comment:

  1. I don't think most of us set out to be foolish... but sometimes we do choose what looks good to us at the time without doing our homework.

    Using GPS last Thursday morning to get from Pepperdine University to the airport, I suddenly realized that the program had "assumed" some things about our course and charted the list of step-by-step directions incorrectly. I was reminded once again of the need to look further down the road than where it "diverges in a yellow wood"... and to be sure it will end at the destination I desire before taking too many steps along it!

    ReplyDelete