May 13, 2010

May 13 - Proverbs 13

In chapter 13, my heart was drawn to verse 20:  He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm.

It seems that we become like what we spend our time with ... we grow to be like what we focus our attention upon.  We have all chuckled at the pictures of people who actually look a little like their dogs!  It seems to be an observable fact - we grow to resemble the objects of our attention and affection. 

Does that make us more careful about who we hang with, what we watch, what we read, where we focus our attention and affections?  Perhaps examination is in order.  Examine your friendships and take a hard look at the television programs you watch and books you read.  Do you really want to be like those people you watch and read about?  Are your friends the kind of people you want yourself to become? 

The apostle, Paul, said: "Do not be misled: 'Bad company corrupts good character.' " (1 Corinthians 15:33)

The voice of wisdom tells us to hang with wise people ... it will rub off! 

My prayer for this day:  Lord, give me eyes to see the wise ones in my path today.  May I have the wisdom to listen to them.  And primarily ... may I walk in step with You this day.  You are my friend, my wisdom and my strength.  May I grow wise in Your presence.

3 comments:

  1. I loved the first half of verse 9...

    "The light of the righteous shines brightly"

    Not only is this a great way to look for people we should surround ourselves with, but it's also such a great goal for me...to shine God's love for all to see.

    It reminds me of Jesus' words in Matthew 5:14-16:

    "You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven."


    "Hide it under a bush. Oh no! I'm gonna let it shine. Let it shine, let it shine, all the time!" :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you keep pointing us back to Jesus. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can’t help comparing/contrasting verses 14 and 20:

    14 The teaching of the wise is a fountain of life, turning a man from the snares of death.

    20 He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm.


    As a homeschool mom I am often asked when school is "out for the day." The underlying assumption is that learning, like a faucet, can be turned on and off. Teachers utilize textbooks, lab experiments, homework assignments and tests as the time-tested tools for deliberately imparting knowledge and assessing our absorption of it. But we are always learning, and one definition of learning is "a change in behavior."

    When my children were old enough to play with the neighbor's kids at their house, it wasn't long before they picked up some new pattern of speech or behavior. Inevitably they would try it out on me or their daddy, only to discover that it garnered a completely different response at home than it had next door. In addition to being corrected for the undesirable word or action, they could expect to be asked from which of their friends they had learned it.

    I am captivated by Solomon's use of both intentional and casual language in verse 20: "He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm." We work hard to achieve our academic milestones (and we should), but what about outside the classroom? We absorb far more by accident than we do on purpose, and it is on the basis of our behavior -- not our knowledge -- that we will be judged. Jesus tells us that everyone who is fully trained will become like his teacher. From which teacher will we choose to learn?

    On the other hand, I think of Jesus’ words: "But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea." (Matthew 18:6) And I am led to scrutinize my own example… what are my companions learning from me? What habits of thought, action, or attitude are they picking up? Lord, may my words and actions be only those that will draw others to walk more closely with You! ♪♫♪♫"May my steps be worship, may my thoughts be praise, may my words bring honor to Your name!"♪♫♪♫

    ReplyDelete