May 27, 2010

May 27 - Proverbs 27

I am intrigued with verse 11 today:  "Be wise, my son, and bring joy to my heart; then I can answer anyone who treats me with contempt."  Other translations use the word "reproach" in the last phrase.  Listen to the way The Message translates it:  Become wise, dear child, and make me happy; then nothing the world throws my way will upset me.

I hear this proverb saying that when our children make wise choices ... when they exercise good judgement ... we can handle anything.  I think the reverse is also true ... when we see them making foolish choices ... using no judgement at all ... our own struggles are tougher, pain is more intense, and criticism (another way to translate the word for contempt)  from others tends to crush us. 

I am resisting the temptation to send this information to my children!  So for application I must look to myself as a daughter.  My father has gone into eternity but my mom is here.  Do I bring joy to her heart by the wisdom I exhibit?  I wonder ... Do I make her life easier to handle because I am wise in decisions and attitudes?  I wonder ...

Make your parents hearts joyful ... make their lives easier ... pay attention to "getting wisdom".  We have read much about the discipline required, the determination required.  So what remains is for us to determine to do it.  You are on the right path ... you are showing your desire by your attention to this May project.  Keep on, my friends!

1 comment:

  1. As women, we spend a good bit of time looking into the mirror and (if we’re like most women) not liking what we see. It’s not the mirror’s fault; it just reflects back to us what it “sees”… and what others will see if/when we appear in public. If we want to change what we see there, we have some work to do… not on the mirror, but on ourselves. This morning was “one of those” mornings for me -- you know, the kind where you rush out the door praying you don’t see anyone you know... and suddenly you realize your son has an appointment at the chiropractor and he can’t sign your credit card slip! [insert blush here]

    As I sat in the waiting area reading Proverbs and wishing I’d brought a paper bag to put over my head, verse 19 impressed me: “As water reflects a face, so a man’s heart reflects the man.” What does the reflection of my heart say about me, the person? If I could see what is obvious to others, would it bring a smile or a cringe?

    Then I looked down at verse 9: ”Perfume and incense bring joy to the heart, and the pleasantness of one’s friend springs from his earnest counsel.” We apply things like make-up and perfume to “improve” our physical looks, and we look into the mirror to gauge the effect. Are we willing to invite the same scrutiny and benefit from the feedback of those closest to us? One of the greatest treasures in the world is a friend who will “tell it like it is,” even when the “reflection” isn’t the prettiest image of me. If what others see in me isn’t as pretty as I wish it were, I need to know that... and I have some work to do – on myself!

    ReplyDelete