May 6, 2010

May 6 - Proverbs 6

I am reminded again in chapter 6 how much God despises lying.  Dishonesty.  It is mentioned twice in this list of 7 things the Lord hates (verses 16 - 19).  Wisdom from God says that lying is a terrible thing.  My culture says that lying is OK if you don't get caught.  My culture says little lies to save face are understandable.  My culture says sometimes you have to lie to get ahead - falsify resumes, taxes, reports, etc.  But I read in this chapter that God HATES a lying tongue.  Can't get around that.  Can't explain it away. 

So my prayer for this day ... Lord, I determine that every word from my mouth today will be true and dependable.  Every word.  I will not bend truth to fit my need.  I will not manipulate truth to get my way.  I will be a woman whose words are trustworthy ... because I belong to you.

Which of these 7 things spoke loudly to you?

1 comment:

  1. oooh, this was a great chapter. I think I have 3 favorites. :) 1-5, reading about debts and owing your neighbor. I see God's wisdom in this! How many of us are "in jail" trapped in some situation because of debt. Great reminder for me to keep my spending focused on God! I also treasure the lesson in 6-11 because it is so easy for me to avoid something because I'm "tired" or even too busy "relaxing".

    On the things the Lord hates, I was most convicted by "arrogant eyes" and "one who stirs up trouble among brothers." Both are so easy to fall into! Lord, keep me from these things!

    ReplyDelete